Job Description: Accounting Associate
To be successful in this role, the candidate must be able to remain focused and diligent in the recording and reconciliation of data from numerous sources; collaborate with a variety of people (staff, management, donors, volunteers, vendors, home-owners, bankers, agencies, etc. ) to enhance outcomes both with and outside the Finance Department and be self-motivated; to go beyond the daily accounting tasks and use available skills and interests to support the mission of Asheville Habitat in meaningful ways.
The pay rate is $17.70/hour, and the schedule is Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Under the supervision of the Finance Director and the Accounting Specialist, the associate performs a variety of accounting and financial duties involving financial transactions and recordkeeping. These duties include accounts payable and accounts receivable, assisting in the annual budget preparation, the annual certified audit, and the preparation of the annual form 990 and form 990T. The associate maintains the computerized accounting system and provides information from same to the Finance Director and the Accounting Specialist and other staff members as needed, and performs other related work as required.
1. Assist Finance Director and Accounting Specialist in all aspects of daily accounting, budgeting, tax reporting, annual audit and other areas as required.
2. Enter and verify data in established database systems.
3. Post cash receipts and other data to various ledgers, registers and journals according to established accounting techniques and procedures.
4. Prepare monthly bank and credit card reconciliations.
5. Establish and maintain a variety of financial records and files including, accounts receivable, accounts payable, credit card receipts/statements, mortgages receivable, and insurance.
6. Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacts made in the course of work.
7. Assist Accounting Specialist in the recording and reconciliation of monthly mortgage payments and Home Repair payments.
8. Accounts payable input, including the scanning of payment checks
9. Assist Accounting Specialist in the compilation of supporting data for government draws.
10. Follow-up calls and letters for delinquent Home Repair customers.
11. Filing of accounting data.
12. Coordinate with office volunteers to assist in the Finance Department as needed.
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Living Wage Certified, Family Forward Certified, Breastfeeding Friendly Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. We are committed to providing a safe workspace for all staff and volunteers. All candidates who have received an offer of employment will undergo testing for commonly abused controlled substances. All candidates also undergo sex offender screening and criminal background check. Criminal background is reviewed on a case-by-case basis considering the severity, timeframe of the offense, and applicability to the responsibilities of the open position.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls, please.