Become a Home Repair Volunteer
Are you interested in a unique and critical volunteer position with Asheville Habitat?
We are forming a small team of Core Home Repair Volunteers — a group of folks that can make a weekly or bi-weekly commitment to a specific day of the week. We’d love to have you join us! Please read below and then email Stephanie if you would like to give volunteering with Home Repair a try.
Home Repair volunteers help with a myriad of projects ranging from simply one-day jobs to week-long endeavors. Work include building ramps, installing grab bars and showers, replacing or repairing siding and flooring, building or rebuilding decks and stairs, painting/staining exteriors, and more.They work on existing homes in the community, to help low-income homeowners, often the elderly, be able to live longer and more safely in their homes. We have completed nearly 200 repair jobs since 2010, and nearly 75% of the families we serve annually are served through this program.
Home Repair might be a great volunteer opportunity for you if you:
- Enjoy a challenge and can adapt to a variety of environments and projects
- Enjoy problem solving
- Like interacting with homeowners and are comfortable working in occupied homes
- Can work well on a small team of two to four people
- Are interested in learning new skills
As a Home Repair Volunteer you will:
- See the immediate impact of your work in your community
- Help enable people to age in place with accessibility upgrades
- Learn a variety of repair skills that can be used on your own home
- Visit parts of Asheville and Buncombe County that you might otherwise never visit
Can’t make an ongoing commitment? No worries, we would still value your contributions as a single-day volunteer. Click here to sign up for an upcoming opportunity.