Job Description: Accounting Associate
Under the supervision of the Finance Director and the Accounting Coordinator, performs a variety of accounting and financial duties involving financial recordkeeping and recording transactions including accounts receivable, assists in the annual budget preparation, the annual certified audit and the preparation of the annual form 990 and form 990T, maintains the computerized accounting system and provides information from same to the Finance Director and other staff members as needed, and performs other related work as required.
- Assist Finance Director and Accounting Coordinator in all aspects of daily accounting, budgeting, tax reporting, annual audit and other areas as required.
- Enter and verify data in established database systems.
- Post cash receipts and other data to various ledgers, registers and journals according to established accounting techniques and procedures.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Establish and maintain a variety of financial records and files including, accounts receivable, mortgages receivable, and insurances.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Record and reconcile monthly mortgage payments and Home Repair payments.
- Responsible for maintaining proof of insurance coverage for mortgagors and subcontractors.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor degree.
- Significant practical experience may substitute for degree.
- Basic accounting experience.
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent data entry skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel, Office and Outlook
- Experience with QuickBooks a plus
- Exhibits accuracy and attention to detail in all areas of work
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Able to work effectively as part of a team
- Able to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, with minimum supervision
- Strong experience with computerized accounting systems
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and routinely requires operating standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
Occasionally works in outside conditions that can include inclement weather, heat and humidity, high noise levels and navigating rough terrain.
Must be able to travel to meetings and events and communicate appropriately with stakeholders.
Some evening and weekend hours required.
All candidates who have received an offer of employment will be required to undergo testing for commonly abused controlled substances in accordance with our Drug screening and Drug Free work place policy as well as Sex Offender and Criminal Background Check.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No walks-ins or phone calls, please.
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug Free Workplace.