The Impact of Habitat
• More than 1,000 lives have been directly impacted by our work since 1983. Thousands more have been indirectly impacted due to ripple effect into future generations.
• With homeownership comes the opportunity for increased employment and educational opportunities. Many homeowners see a child (or themselves) go on to college, becoming the first in their family to do so.
• The Habitat ReStore (and Deconstruction) diverts more than 1,400 tons of usable material from the landfills every year.
• In 2010, 1 in 34 houses (or 3%) built in Buncombe County was a Habitat house.
• In 2012, Asheville Area Habitat spent more than $3.1 million with local subcontractors and vendors.
• Collectively, Asheville Area Habitat homeowners paid nearly $231,000 in property taxes in 2012.
• By providing homeownership opportunities to working families in Buncombe County, families are able to live in the community in which they work; in turn, more money is reinvested locally.